Supplies, instructions, resources, and worksheets are below!
Rock Balancing or Rock Stacking is an art, discipline, or hobby in which rocks are naturally balanced on top of one another in various positions without the use of adhesives, wires, supports, or any other thing which would help maintain the structure’s balance. It involves placing a combination of rocks in an arrangement that requires patience and sensitivity to create what appears to be impossible. In this STEM project, you’ll learn about the art of Rock Balancing!
It’s important to be aware of any impact on the environment and wildlife while rock balancing. Read these guidelines for some of the ethics to consider: Leaving No Trace – Rock Stacking
Lots of rocks in different sizes and shapes
Understand balance and gravity
Build creativity, critical thinking, and patience
Vocabulary Terms to Understand
Look up each word and write their definition on paper.
center of mass
1. Print the Investigative Worksheet and use it to document the design steps of your project.
2. Watch the instructional videos above.
3. Go outside and collect all kinds of rocks to use.
4. Start stacking!
5. Don’t get frustrated if it takes a while. If they collapse, you can start over. Have patience and fun at the same time!
6. Document your strategy and the types of rocks you are using, their size, shape, etc. on the Investigative Worksheet.
How long did it take to build your rock stack?
What makes the rocks stay in position?
Brief Rock Balancing Tutorial
Rock Balancing: Stone Stacking Art
The Art of Rock Balancing
The Art of Rock Balancing 2
Rock Balancing Tutorials
Rock Balancing on Pinterest
Wiki: Rock Balancing
Rock Stacking Slide Show